How to proceed with VS2010?

Apr 27, 2010 at 7:39 AM

Hi there,

I (and probably many other happy Pipeline Builders with me) was wondering how to proceed with VS2010. We have this great Pipeline Builder now as an AddIn to VS2008 that saves us a lot of work, but what to do if we want to upgrade to .NET 4.0 and VS2010? Is there an alternative to the Pipeline Builder for VS2010? Has Microsoft integrated it into .NET 4/VS2010 somehow?

Best regards,
Raymond

Coordinator
Apr 30, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Hi,

Afaik, MS hasn't done anything with the pipeline builders for the new release. If you are porting it and finish I can put the code up on this page.

Cheers
Henke

May 8, 2010 at 5:35 PM
Edited May 8, 2010 at 5:40 PM
Hey,

im using PipelineBuilder in Visual Studio 2010 and have no Proplem at all. You simply edit the VSPipelineBuilder.AddIn

from
<HostApplication>
<Name>Microsoft Visual Studio Macros</Name>
<Version>9.0</Version>
</HostApplication>
<HostApplication>
<Name>Microsoft Visual Studio</Name>
<Version>9.0</Version>
</HostApplication>

to

<HostApplication>
<Version>10.0</Version>
</HostApplication>
<HostApplication>
<Version>10.0</Version>
</HostApplication>

Have Fun! And thanks for keeping this awesome tool alive!
Reddragon

Edit: Fixed Formating :(
Jul 5, 2010 at 12:20 PM

Just to add to reddragon's post, i found it was a little more than just editing the VSPipelineBuilder.Addin

1. Use the installer from codeplex, this installs to C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Visual Studio Pipeline Builder
2. Edit the  VSPipelineBuilder.Addin as per the previous post
3. Copy the entire content of "C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft\Visual Studio Pipeline Builder" to "%userprofile%\Documents\Visual Studio 2010\Addins"
4. Restart VS2010

Jul 17, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I do not find it necessary to add all of the installation files to the "MyDocument\Visual Studio 2010\Addins".

Here is what my edited Addin file looks like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-16" standalone="no"?>
<Extensibility xmlns="http://schemas.microsoft.com/AutomationExtensibility">
 <HostApplication>
  <Version>10.0</Version>
 </HostApplication>
 <HostApplication>
  <Version>10.0</Version>
 </HostApplication>
 <Addin>
  <FriendlyName>Add-In Pipeline Builder</FriendlyName>
  <Description>Add-In PipelineBuilder</Description>
  <Assembly>C:\Program Files\Visual Studio Pipeline Builder\VSPipelineBuilder.dll</Assembly>
  <FullClassName>VSPipelineBuilder.Connect</FullClassName>
  <LoadBehavior>5</LoadBehavior>
  <CommandPreload>1</CommandPreload>
  <CommandLineSafe>1</CommandLineSafe>
 </Addin>
</Extensibility>

Notice that the "Assembly" tag specifies the location of the VSPipelineBuilder.dll.

Also notice that I changed the default installation folder to "C:\Program Files\Visual Studio Pipeline Builder".

You can install the pipeline builder anywhere you want. You just need to point to the location in the Addin file.

Ben

Mar 23, 2011 at 7:26 AM
Edited Mar 23, 2011 at 7:44 AM

Hmmmm.

I am using VS2010.  I installed the original PipelineBuilder into a directory on the D: drive and changed the AddIn file to have version 10.0.  I added the installation directory into the AddIn paths under Tools|Options.  I did not change the assembly location as suggested above.  And it works.  The original PipelineBuilder AddIn loads fine and appears to work.  Cool!

Then I downloaded this newer version, opened the rar file and copied all the files over top of the files installed by the original and changed the version in the AddIn file - this should be ok because all the filenames are the same and the contents of the AddIn files are the same (including the version number change from 9.0 to 10.0).  Except it does not work. 

The original works fine and the newer one says this when VS2010 starts:  The add in failed to load or caused an exception.  Error Message: <unknown error> Error number: 80131515

Copying over these new files with the original ones makes it work again.  So what is the difference between the new one and the original one?

Thanks,

Jerry